4 Aug 2013

DM Keith Skoda Sportive 4th August 2013

Today was the day that I did yet another sportive. This time on the right side of The Pennines!!!

It was a very sociable start for a sportive but saying that it wasn't a great distance. The day started fro me at 6.30am so I wasn't having to scrape myself out of bed even though it is a Sunday ride. Anyway I gave the dogs a once around the block, had three Weetabix as I knew this would be a high energy day, loaded up the car, had a cup of tea then headed out the door at about 7.30.

Just as I got into the car and turned on the ignition however my phone dinged!! I instantly knew what the message was as Lynne had used my car the previous day and it now had no petrol in it.... much grumbling! however as I was leaving with a good amount of time to spare this wasn't really an issue. I just simply went to Tesco and put in £30 worth. Not quite filling her up but it would be enough.

Next came the long and winding road over Woodhead Pass then up the M1 to Wakefield. Not a bad trip at that time in the morning and apart from someone who was clearly out for a Sunday morning drive at half the speed limit (again much grumbling from me). Eventually I reached Wakefield and even managed to find a nice parking place right next to the Skoda dealers and at the same time out the way enough that I wouldn't have to worry about banging into other peoples cars as I put my bike back together. So once I got sorted I went around to sign in and much to the disappointment of everyone not from Yorkshire not a single person was wearing a flat cap or had a whippet with them! I take it this is more of a tradition for Saturdays or when going down t' pit etc. It was good however to hear some real English spoken in the way only a real Yorkshire man can! I was greeted with a good "Ey lad" but then it all went a bit normal to me, however being a fluent Yorkshire speaker (I am from Halifax originally) everything made sense. Unsurprisingly there is always someone not from Yorkshire at a sportive like this and they just looked confused! We do love that look.

Come 10am we were off in a very unceremonious start. The Cheshire Cat did a better attempt at a start but saying that it isn't the start that counts, it what comes next that everyone was looking forward too.

It all started with a long flat but fast road out of Wakefield with no real hills to speak of. A nice flat fast run south(ish) going through Notton and Woolley. It helped spread the bunch out a bit and much to my annoyance on one of the flat stretches and right in the middle of a superb breakaway my chain came off the front ring. I wouldn't have minded but I wasn't even peddling at the time. After remounting my chain (very quickly) I jumped back on and accelerated to catch back up with the break again. This in itself was probably a bit of a mistake as we were traveling very fast and not at endurance speed. It felt good though and helped warm the legs up and open the lungs up for the thrashing to come.

Once through Woolley we crossed the M1 and joined the main road on the west side of the motorway. We had been briefed by the organiser before hand that we would have to cross the carriageway and as this is a really dangerous spot they would be there with red flags to help us across. Sure enough they were there and managed to guide me safely across. What they didn't warn me about was the hill that came up next. Not the steepest I have ever been up but certainly one to make you sweet a bit. Once over the top of the first climb the route just turned into a roller coaster of ups and downs heading towards Denby Dale and Holmfirth. After a while I found myself alone and just riding to pickup the next sign. I did have a few moments in the ride when I thought I had missed a sign or did the one that I just passed say left or right?? Never good moments but I rode on always grateful to pick up the next one along the way. The hills were starting to bite a bit by this point too as there seemed to be more up than down! The actual High point was in a village called Upper Cumberworth about half way between Denby Dale and Holmfirth. This was a killer of a hill that just seemed to go on and on and on! however with much effort and wishing that I had some bigger rings on my cassette I eventually made it to the top. Just as all the riders taking part looked at there very worst (dribble, snot, sweet and who knows what else) there was a photographer sat at the side of the road ready to take a picture of such a glorious moment for posterity!! Won't be putting that one online me thinks.

After Holmfirth it was again back over the lumps and bumps heading westwards. The route even took me past the base of Emily Moore TV mast. This landmark can be seen for many miles around and is somewhere I have always wanted to go past too. Of course such a mast was only going to be at the top of yet another very big hill. After that though it was a seriously fast decent down back towards the motorway and home to Wakefield. The Photographer did manage to snap me on one of the descents that I decided to let it go and really give it some welly. If I manage to get that picture I will be putting that online. I certainly felt very fast and I can only hope it looked it too.

With sore legs from some good climbs and my ears ringing from the howl of the wind I finally crossed over the motorway again and dropped into Wakefield. I made it around the 40 mile route in 2 hours 44 minutes, so really not too bad at all. Not quite the racing speed i was hoping for but that will come with time and practice.

I had solved the problem of not being able to change up from the bottom to the top chain ring on my bike. Now however I need to set the stops up correctly to stop my chain jumping off the top and bottom rings (very annoying, plus cost me loads of time too).

I didn't get pins and needles in my hands like last time. I think my gloves may have been on too tight!

My bike still creaks and groans as much as the rider but that will be a big job to stop either of them making noise.

My hill climbing is starting to improve, my flat speed is good and my descending was superb! now all I need is to put it all together again next weekend for the 160km (100 mile) ride with Brad sportive. Now that will be long and hard with many big hills. I will be wishing for the at by the time I have finished I would think as the flat Cheshire plains will be a far cry from what I experienced today or will again next week. Them there 'ills!!!

Now having had my monthly dose of Yorkshire (and then some) Lynne and the kids won't have a clue what I am saying fro at least a few hours. Oh the joys of those confused looks..

All said and done it was a very good sportive and well organised too.
I really enjoyed it and if the y are running another one I will be up for it! Anyone else fancy riding in Gods Country?

Yet again More Happy cycling and a good few miles in the bank!



No comments:

Post a Comment