15 May 2013

10 days off makes a big difference!

Well after after a short return to cycling two weeks ago I went on a family holiday up in North Yorkshire. It was certainly a wonderful time and very scenic too. Best thing has got to be that the weather actually held up too for most of the week so we managed to get to places like Whitby, Saltburn and Staiths. All of which are wonderful places and brilliant uk holiday destinations. We stayed at a lovely country cottage near Castleton called Millinder House. The owners were great and couldn't do enough for us, plus the local farmer was a real live all singing and dancing ye olde sheep farmer, a busy time of year for this old chap being lambing season and he even let the kids feed a few lambs he was having to take care of before sending back into the fields. It was certainly a lovely week had by the whole family.

As I mentioned we holidayed in North Yorkshire so the scenery was breathtaking. Only problem being I was lacking a bike to go and really enjoy the scenery, however I think the wife may have killed me if I had spent the holiday out on my bike instead of with the family.

We did manage to get to Dalby Forest and hired some bikes from Dalby forest bike barn . Lynne and I took the kids on a 2.5 mile route twice, the kids were in a trailer that I pulled along and Lynne was on a normal mountain bike. It was really nice to get out as a family on the bikes and I feel that Lynne certainly is edging towards getting the cycling bug. We then went on the go ape high ropes adventure course which again was great fun for te grown ups!

Anyway, previous to going away on holiday I managed a very respectable 81 miles for the week and if all goes as planned I will hopefully be able to get over the 100 miles in a week barrier before long.

I did the run to work from Hyde, over to Glossop, south up and over a big hill to Hayfield, into New Mills then down the A6 through Dizzly and finally into Stockport. 23 odd miles in all with a few good climbs to account for too. A good bit of endurance training and all before work! I must be crackers.

This week after 10 days off however my legs feel like lead just trundling up the hill out of Hyde on Tuesday. I put some air in my tyres which has made a big difference but I can still feel that my legs are not completely recovered yet!

Tomorrow however I feel the need to tackle the Monks lane monster as his is a climb that hurt me last time and I am determined to get up and over it without putting a foot down this time. This is the same hill that I originally planned to do back in feb but instead decided to take the short and easy route to work, well that didn't end too well so perhaps I should have tackled the monster instead of taking it easy!!!

Happy to be back on the road anyway and as of Monday I was officially discharged from hospital for the broken ankle I sustained. Now however I just cant get enough of cycling and I am really looking forward to the Great Manchester Cycle in a few weeks time.

Great stuff!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment