27 Feb 2014

London to Newcastle in 24 hours Eeeek!

I have now officially booked and paid for the big challenge ride that I am working  towards.  

For those of you that either follow this blog or have read some of my earlier posts you may know that the London to Newcastle was not the original plan. Plan A was to ride across country from coast to coast in 24 hours. This evolved into Plan B which was then to ride coast to coast (as above) then travel to Lands end and ride all the way to John O' Groats non-stop. This may be in the pipeline at some point in the future still. 

On the opening of the Coast to Coast ride that I wanted to go on it was filled in days. The previous year it still had places left until a few months before hand so at that I missed out on getting booked onto the ride. I simply couldn't afford it at the time.

An alternative was required!!! After extensive trawling of the internet and a bit of research through a few choice forums etc. I managed to get some info on the London to Newcastle ride as part of the Ride 24 series.

So these guys organise a number of supported rides. 

London to Newcastle 
London to Lands end
London to Paris
London to Amsterdam

In the back of my mind was an urge to just do all of them however the front of my less than bulging wallet (plus the wife objected) said no I just can't afford to do something that daft!!!

So London to Newcastle it is then!!!



This is a route that takes up the Eastern side of Britain Heading through the likes of Peterborough, Lincoln and Goole, then onto the North Yorkshire Moors for Easingwold Great Smeaton then eventually Newcastle. 

310 miles with only a few little hills. However it is about 3 times further than the longest distance I have ever cycled (that being just over 100 miles) and is in effect 3 marathons back to back!!!

What have I let myself in for indeed!

If you have a look on the just giving pages that are linked to this blog (see top right) you can see I am doing this for charity in Aid of the East Cheshire Hospice and The Christie Charity. 

It's going to be lots of pain for me and all gain for someone else.

This is why I do these sorts of challenges and one of the big reasons I hurt my self (not in a bad way) pushing my body and mind as hard as I can to hopefully get some of you to give a little to make it all worth it.

Well soon I will be cycling on the Cheshire Cat for the second year running, then its racing season and lots of hard training to make sure I am in great condition to complete the big ride ahead. As I mentioned it is 3 back to back marathons on a bike in 24 hours. Hmm may just sting a bit!!!

Keep you posted and thanks for reading :)

Happy cycling

No comments:

Post a Comment