15 Feb 2014

Getting nervous, Getting training!

My first race is in April up at the Tameside Cycling track. This will be round 1 of the cycling league I have registered with and I am starting to get a bit nervous as I do not want to be the idiot that is bringing up the rear in last place.

I am also trying to ensure that I will be in the best place I can be by cycling as much possible. Saying that though I am only able to currently cycle too and from work. Do the odd bits on the turbo trainer and then when possible the odd bit off a ride at the weekend. 

In short I still don't think I am doing enough so it is time to step things up a bit.

Cardio first.
   The one thing that I can really work on and I know will benefit me both short and long term is getting a good regular cardio work out. For me as a cyclist this will involve a few good spinning style runs per week on the turbo trainer. I will just simply be looking at getting my heart rate up and sustaining a good work rate for a period of time. Tonight for example I just did 30 minutes and only gave up when I decided I was sweating enough. Even just using the stairs all the time instead of the lift at work will make a difference. 

Strength.
    Leg strength as well as core strength is important. The first is obvious as to why for a cyclist. Would need leg strength, or is it! We know there are two types of muscle. Slow twitch, these are the muscles we use for endurance. I am ok with these muscles as I do and have cycled for long distances for anything up to and including 8 hours at a time. Secondly the fast twitch muscles, these are the strength and speed muscles. In a cyclist it gives the sprinters. In terms of the racing I am going to be taking part in this will be very fast and furious, with lots of fast twitch muscle use and a high cardio workout. 

In short the races will be bloody hard work. 

The next important factor will of course be the machine I will be riding. I will (unless I am lucky enough to be given a real racing bike) be using my current Dolan road bike. The same one I ride to work every day. The major difference being, I will be stripping off the lights, saddle bag and bottle holders. I have a set of matched wheels with slick tyres and a close ratio cassette, plus a chain that I will only be using for races. The bike is not by any means a top end race bike, but on the other hand it is not the regular run of the mill commuter slog to work bad rust in the shed bike. It does weigh just over 10kg so is not an ultra light weight racer. It should do the job I would hope.

My first aim is to not come last. My second is to come first and score some British cycling points.

The first race already has a maximum number of 46 riders and looking at the site currently here are only 4 or 5 places left. The one noticeable thing with most of the riders is all but a few of them are all from cycling clubs in the region. I would say quite a few of the racers will be well experienced in racing on closed circuit races like these. It is a cat 4 race so we will be all at the same "level" so to speak. This is a race however so the strongest and fastest will win.

Tactics.
     The usual way to play things are to race a a team and help each other implementing the use of a tactical race to put the fast racer in the best position at the best time. To be in a race with the rest of the cyclist using tactics around me will be interesting. I am of course cycling as an individual not as a team so I will also have to play the tactics game. On the one hand not get forced out of the race, Squeezed to the back or burned out early. I am to play hard, make sure I will be in a good position, not put myself in early breakaways, make sure I use those around me to my advantage and when the time is right make sure I still have enough strength and fight to jump to the front. 

This sounds like some hard backstabbing tactics, those who race, race to win. Otherwise its just turning up for a laugh! 

It sounds so easy on paper but in reality it will be the hardest and most stressful time ever. I have a feeling I am going to love it, but it will probably be a I loved it afterwards kind of an affair. 

So getting nervous, getting focused and getting trained. I just hope I can do it all in time for the first race then keep it up for all the rest. 

Before now and then however will be the Cheshire Cat, many more rides too and from work, lots more toil on the turbo and probably the wonder of why oh why do I do this! 

My thoughts are I play to win, anything else is me not trying or training hard enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment