16 Nov 2013

Looks like its that time already!!!

With the days now well and truly getting shorter and the rides too and from work being mainly in the dark, the weather getting increasing wet and windy plus the temperatures dropping, I see many cyclists hanging up their helmets and opting for a warmer form of transport. certainly where I park my bike at work, an area (indoors with great security) is usually packed and you really struggle to find a spot. Now however there is plenty of room and only the brave well dressed dare attend.

Me being one of those brave nut-cases.

But hey! as I pass about 1,000 cars a day all sat in slow moving and stationary traffic and I may look like a Christmas tree with more lights and day-glow yellow bits than you can shake a stick at (I do look like a proper chump too) it's all in aid of not being splattered by drivers that don't look and best of all being quite warm too.

I can safely say I have only had one day so far when I have been properly cold so far and really not enjoying it. The only reason for that was I was still wearing my summer gear, thin socks, fingerless gloves, thin top etc. Now however I am going back to lessons in years gone by and ensuring I have enough layers to keep out the wind but not so many that I overheat and end up just as wet on the inside as I would on the outside from the rain.

The only other issue at the minute is ensuring I am visible and avoid motorists that generally just don't look, or think, or just don't care and think they have right of way!!! Scary really.

So looking like a day-glow idiot with lights on my arms and back plus three lights on the back of my bike (the red sort) and three lights on the front of my bike (the white sort) generally does the trick. I still do however as happened at least twice this week I had a SMIDSY or Sorry Mate I Didn't See You!!! Obviously even the blind are allowed to drive!!!

So if battling through slow moving traffic in the dark wind and rain isn't enough, I am still cycling in the region of 100 miles per week. I am also starting to make up for the lack of road miles by hitting the Turbo trainer a few times a week too. The goal being that after winter is (finally) over I will be fitter, faster and stronger than I was last year. All this should stand me in good stead for the next season as I really want to take part in some real races, either road races as there are a few nearby or closed track racing at somewhere like Tameside Circuit, a purpose built track that I can't believe I haven't discovered previously. Either way it is something that I want to be doing over the next year and will hopefully do as well as I can for me!!!

I shall keep you posted on what happens.

Meanwhile... I have entered the Cheshire Cat again, to me there is only one distance and that is the full Monty 100 miles as last year. All the other dates for either sportive's or races are to be discussed and booked but I will be blogging those as I go through the year.

Happy cycling yet again. And stay safe too....

No comments:

Post a Comment