20 Apr 2014

WooHaa! Tameside League Race Round 1

Tuesday night was the first race of the season.

As you can guess I had been getting prepared for the race pretty well.

My bike was all in order and running silky smooth and I was feeling great.

All ready to Race!
So, feeling a bit nervous I got my racing jersey on and packed my bike and all the bits I needed into the car to head up to Ashton.

My Dad and his wife (Violet) had come over specially to see me in the race and hopefully take a few pictures/video of me on the track too.

I was determined to make a good show of it for the race and turned up well in time for the 7.30 start time that I thought we had. Turns out the start time was 8.30 and I had just turned up over 1 hour early (D'oh!). This did give me plenty of time to get sorted out and make sure I sort of knew what I would be doing.

The races before mine were going still. I managed to see the last few laps of the juniors. Those kids on bikes that look too big for them have an obvious power to weight advantage as they were really shifting around that track. After that the Cat 2/3/4 race that I hope to be able to graduate too. This was a really fast race for some very strong high power racers. As they powered there way past us on the hairpin bend I was watching from, you could almost feel the speed as they went past!

It all became very real as well when two of the riders came into contact and wham! They both hit the deck hard. Two guys out of the race and by the look of it at least one of the bikes was very badly damaged too. Even with the riders injured the race still carried on without them for about 45 minutes in total. That must have been really hard going to cycle at that speed for as long as they did. In all the race was about 40 Laps (40 km or 24 miles) at sprint pace. I could see that my race was going to be hard and very fast!

I went around the block for a quick warm up. Then on my return I noticed other riders from my race making their way onto the track in a very tentative manner.

I made my way onto the track and rode 2 laps at a nice gentle pace. I certainly didn't want to burn my legs out before I had even started. As I approached the half way point of my second lap I could see riders starting to gather at the start line. Starting to get nervous but also very excited I completed my lap and joined the line up in the middle of the third row. All the riders were coming in and then once we had all been counted and checked it was the riders brief.

"Play nice, watch your space, any barging pushing or blatant cheating will result in a one lap penalty. If you are going to get lapped listen for the instruction of the riders approaching and get out of their way."

Now the heart was pumping, adrenaline racing, muscles warmed up and ready to go we could all feel the tension as we strained ready to be let lose.

Then the count, "Ready, 3, 2, 1 GO!"

A flurry of riders clipping in and hitting the gas.

Suddenly from my right Wham!

The chap next to me missed clipping in and smashed straight into me!

"Great! Get off me" Not my exact words but this sudden stop was already losing me time and places and I hadn't even crossed the start line yet.

In seconds I was on and moving.

Strava!

I hit the start button just as I crossed the line.

Already though it felt like I was riding backwards as all those that had a clear run and speed were already going past me.

My blood began to boil and I was swearing at myself desperately trying to get up to speed and hang on to the back of the pack already.

The first few laps were really fast and very crowded.

Going into the bends I was fighting for my line constantly having to duck and weave as riders jostled for position. Getting cut up again I hit the brakes. This was really getting to be hard work and I was losing contact with the group by the second.

Then I realised, I had been dropped out of the back and I was in the worst position ever! (Thankfully I wasn't last though.)

I now had nobody close enough in front of me that I could take advantage of them breaking the air, I would have to do all the work on my own to try and get back to the group, they all had the advantage that the draft of the rider in front would help drag them along. (about 30% easier than what I was having to do). Lap after lap I was giving my all to try and make up some ground. I was trying to sprint out of every corner, pushing myself harder. I could literally feel my heart beating in my head and chest. My legs were feeling like lead and I was cursing myself. I really did think I was last at this point and I was only about 10 laps in.

I turned into the hairpin as fast as I dare to take advantage of the space I had.

The spectators  were shouting "Go  on Mikey!!!". I thought for a second who the hell is Mikey!

Then I realised in actual fact I had a shadow that had been with me since the start.

Right I thought your not taking advantage of me and as I turned out of the hair pin I put on a really hard sprint keeping it going right to the other end of the track taking corners at speeds I didn't think it possible to ride around at.

I was really hurting myself to just make sure I held my place. I would not be last man! I was angry at myself at this point as it was for allowing myself to get dropped. Then worse still.....

"Right Side" came the shout, I was being lapped.

Strangely my Sergeant Major was being totally silent. I think that he just wanted to see how I would do on my own without him. I was dying and getting punished on each lap.

The cost of my sprint hit me hard! A massive stabbing pain as I got cramp down my left calf muscle. I couldn't stop and stretch it off. I just had to press on and just hope that it went enough for me to keep it going. That took two whole laps of agony before I felt numb again.

Finally the lap counter was saying 18, 19 then 20. Only problem was I was a lap behind so when I crossed the line at 20 for me it was 19.

Still 1 lap to go and I was in bits! now the biggest problem was to be finished riders getting in the way.

I was really angry with myself and this actually made my last lap the fastest I did too!

Perhaps that is something I could use next week, however I don't like the idea of ride angry!

A nice gentle cool down lap for me now (and calm down too) as I coasted round

On the cool down lap

By this point I was knackered and slowly made my way to the finish to find out my placing (not that I wanted to know, but I do want to do better next time).

34th out of 37. One rider retired after only a few laps but however I wasn't last so that was a good thing.

Not the best start to the season at all and I certainly wasn't expecting the race to be at such a high pace. Now though I have a marker to go by so I will be able to work my way up.

My Dad and Violet had been taking pictures and video, unfortunately most of the pictures were too dark as the race didn't start until just after sunset.

All done and totally exhausted

Me with my dad
Him looking like some sort of a racing pundit!

Totally knackered I pulled up and paused for a picture. My Dad asking "did I win then?" Erm! no but I did finish.

Lessons learnt from this race:

1. My fitness really needs to be worked on.
2. I really need to work on defending my line and not getting dropped.
3. It is the luck of the draw when heading out at the start.
4. I really need to train more and harder.
5. I did not prepare enough for the race and this was my punishment!

To help the fitness and training aspect of it all I went to training on Thursday night, plus I even went running with the wife on Saturday. I now have in my mind a plan of attack and a better idea of what to do.

I have a feeling it will be a few races before I am finishing with the bunch yet. But I will do my best to hang on by my fingernails as much as I can next week.

It was really exciting stuff and such a rush, even if I did get kicked out of the back of the pack and hung out to dry!

Now my aim is to constantly do better, even eventually win!

I enjoyed it so much I can see why it is addictive too.

Even happier cycling! :)

P.s From the Wife:  You also need to concentrate on your distance cycling as you are doing a 300 miler in august and you don't want to be last then either! I know this is new and exciting, however you've made a commitment to the london to Newcastle 24!


No comments:

Post a Comment