18 Jun 2014

Discover Race Emotions

I took part in another closed circuit race up at Tameside circuit on Tuesday. I can only say it was my best race yet!

The line up was just 13 riders all baying for blood (myself included). It was a quick brief then go on the whistle!

Immediately we all set off at a good pace. The pack was staying together this week.  We went into the first hairpin with great caution but all made it through alive. 

Then as we turned down the hill it came, I had the energy and the opertunity to make an attack. I steadied my nerve took a few deep breaths and went for it.

As I smashed my way down the outside a few of the other rider dropped in behind me. 

Breathing hard and sprinting harder I finally broke off the front! 

I was leading the race. 

Still pushing hard I kept it going for 1 1/2 laps, but I was very aware that I was killing myself on the front. 

It was at this point I decided that I was going to die if I stayed on the front so dropped back to let the rest of the group get past. I dropped back in and kept the pace with the group. 

The thunder of the wheels and the straining of the riders was almost deafening as we sped around the circuit. 

With each corner we cantered over as a group, hold your line keep your speed is the key in situations like this.

10 laps in and the group was still racing as one. Another attack went out and the pace jumped up.

 This time as we caught them and I had momentum. 

Down the straight now I was smashing myself again to get off the front. 

Tyres roaring and brakes screaming we went into the hairpin again with me in the lead. 

I really hurt now but still somehow managed to sprint out of the corner.

 I could hear my own pulse racing in my ears. 

With a quick glance over my shoulder I saw the rest of the group were gaining on me still. 

With a roar of speed they caught me and I dropped in again, by now we had only 5km left to run. 

Everyone was very twitchy and nervous as nobody wants to crash! 

A close brush with disaster came for me as a rider had a rapid change of line information of me! He didn't see me and was probably killing himself like I was too.  I hit the brakes hard and for a split second I locked up my back wheel in a corner. The back end of my bike skipped out. I was holding on tight and breathing hard, a mad moment of panic but I held on. 

Crash avoided now hammering the pedals I was back up to speed and still in the race!

We passed the line as a group and to my surprise the last lap bell was ringing. 

This triggered a massive jump in pace. I was holding on and still fighting for position. 

The penultimate bend had me in the top 5 and it was to be a mass sprint for the line. 

Smashing our way through the last corner at full pace I went to drop a gear to give me the power for the sprint, my gear change missed and I dropped back!

Argh!

By this point it wasn't sergeant major Matt that was screaming his head off, it was me! 

Less than 6 seconds behind the race leader I smashed myself across the line. I was smiling like you wouldn't believe, my eyes stinging with sweat, ears ringing from the noise of the race. My heart was still pounding in my chest and it really felt like me legs were on fire. 

Adrenaline rush was not the word for it!

I was sky high at this point and just couldn't believe how good the race had been. 

Not in the points was my own fault. 

Next week will hopefully be as good. 

Now it's back to the gym to punish myself for not winning and safe in the knowledge that I can do it and have the form to do it too. 

I wear a Discover Race Emotions jersey when I race. I certainly discovered my emotions and more in this race. 

Great fun and can't wait for the next one!

Happy cycling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment