16 Dec 2013

The secret is in the SOAP

A more advanced track session for Friday!

It was still counted as a tester session when it comes to how the national cycling centre advertise these sessions but having said that they did also say that all the tracks in the country had the managers come to a meeting in Manchester on Friday and they made decisions!!! One of these was to call the "advanced taster" Level 2 of 4. Kind of makes sense to me as otherwise you have no idea as to what you are doing or how far you have to go.

So anyway I trudged from work in the centre of Manchester sown the Ashton canal on my bike. I really wasn't feeling it tonight but non the less I was looking forward to a good hard session at the track. Maybe a few good fast laps would help clear my head and I would be feeling a lot better afterwards. Cycling tends to do that for me when I am enjoying it. The ride down the dark wet canal wasn't doing it for me tonight but it was better than the usual life of limb route on the road! I do actually like the canal just simply because it is quieter.

I arrived well in time for the session and made my way to the reception to get booked in and hire some shoes. Then off to the track and get sorted out of my outdoor road cycling kit (mainly the outer layers that I wear at the moment to keep warm and dry), I simply made sure that I would have just enough to keep me covered (stops you losing skin in a fall) and not so much that I would overheat as I was working hard on the bike.

So the bike! Where was my bike??? The track staff are usually really good and put the bikes out on the hire racks with your name on for collection, this time however myself and a few others had to go and find a member of staff to get a bike each out of the store deep under the track. Not to worry though as it gave a little insight into the underground workings of the track and a warm fuzzy feeling that says these bikes are really well maintained and looked after by staff that clearly have an extensive workshop. It was impressive with more bikes, tools and shiny things than you can shake a stick at.

However now it was time for the session and all the gloom had gone from my mind, now it would be time to concentrate (even after a long hard tiring week in the office). This was my first advanced taster session (hopefully not my last as I would still like to progress) and as the two British cycling coaches said to us, "If this is your first time then it will be a bit of an eye opener for you! just stay safe and keep calm.", These guys are the real deal! They are professional coaches and they have between them probably about as much experience as you could ever need.

Quickly I got out onto the track to do a few warm up laps. Get the legs working and the heart rate up was my aim. Also get comfortable on the bike, every bike is different and I wasn't too happy with the saddle height so I pulled up a lap or two early then everyone else came in for the first exercise briefing.

This is where SOAP comes into play. Nothing kinky but it will make your brain hurt after a few laps!

Exercise 1

     Ride in a line on the blue line and change the front rider every 1/2 lap.
     On the change power away up to the top of the track looking that you are clear at the same time.
     Once at the top of the track return to the same pace you had previously so you drop to the back.
     Rejoin the line and continue in the circuit.

How difficult could it be??

Not many people know but a track has 2 hills on it. Into the corner (when you are on the blue line) is uphill and adversely out of the corner is down hill.
To carry out this exercise and riding in a line of 16 riders we must all maintain the same pace going uphill as we do going downhill. That is the simple concept that is going to take time to master and make my head and several others on the track heads hurt. and to add to all of this the coach then throws in some SOAP!

Thankfully only as an acronym as a real bar would have just spelt disaster

S - Smooth actions (keeping it smooth helps the rider behind not having to react fast)
O - Observation (just a look over your shoulder in your intended direction of travel)
A - Anticipation (of what you are about to do, go up/down change etc.)
P - Pace judgement (Squeeze it on slightly going up the hill, let off slightly going down,)

Well all the SOAP makes it sound really easy and certainly I was confident that I wouldn't have a problem mastering this in a session..... Oh how wrong could I be!

We set off in a line of 16 all at the same time. I entered the track and closed on the wheel in front. straight away I was finding it hard to keep the right distance and just couldn't get settled like I did in the previous sessions. Round and round we went the rider at the front peeling off every 1/2 lap. The pace not massively high but good enough to do a great speed around the track.  Finally it came to me at the front. Concentrating on keeping up with the coach pace maker for the group, then came the shout "CHANGE!" my mind went blank for a second as my brain went "Thank you for calling, Matthew is cycling at the moment and will answer your call shortly, here's a little music to listen too while you wait!"

Argh! dam you brain!!!
 
The coach however had other idea's. He knew exactly what was going on in each riders head and shouted the relevant instructions to get you going!I opened up the pace and accelerated up the track, with the slight delay I was on a steeper section than I would have liked and so had to work a little harder I then returned back to normal pace and let the line pass under me as I rode the greater distance around the top of the track. Suddenly I did start to notice that the line was creeping up[ the track towards me. Now being at the top side of the track that wouldn't really give me anywhere to go! The reason that the line was creeping up the track is simple. If you are too close or just simply catching up to the rider in front you just move to the right of the rider and let the natural curve of the track slow you down and you can slot back behind the rider. However at this time everyone seemed to be coming up the track in one long line.

Things started to get a little stressful for a second as I was dropping further back then to my relief the line dropped back down and I slotted in at the back. A few laps later and me stressing about my legs not doing as they are told. Either I was too close to the rider in front or too far behind. I struggled to get the pace balance right and it is something I will have to really work on.

Next came "The Mesh!". The mind boggles!!!

With 16 of us (17 including the coach out on the track with us) we all numbered off.

Exercise 2

An reiteration of the SOAP principles but this one would also be a pace and acceleration exercise. It was to be a simple one. Keep your position in the line and maintain your spacing. Again it was all about pace. The coaches explained that we would ride around on the blue line again. They would then shout the instruction of "ODDS DOWN" at which point the odd numbers in the line all drop down the track onto the red line and the even numbers continue on the blue line and visa-verse when "EVEN DOWN" is called. "Easy Peasy!!!" (in a remarkably bad French accent) you may say!

Reality would be quite so easy but at least not as bad as the first exercise. Again this involves the careful application of SOAP!

Not too bad as we entered the track this time and again we cruised round at a comfortable pace. "EVENS DOWN" the chap in front of me peeled left and I just concentrated on keeping him in the same place as well as the chap now in front at just over a bike length away. EVENS UP and he slid back into position with the minimum of fuss. Then ODDS DOWN Hmm this was different as I slowed to keep my position in the group as I dropped onto the red line. In a corner you travel 5 meters shorter distance on the red line than on the blue. Again pace, distance judgment and then acceleration back up the track and into the space. Not an easy thing and pace judgment is something that even the pro's have to work hard on. this being lesson 1 for me made me feel a bit better.

Finally we all came in as a line (looked rather good too) and stopped on the barrier. The coaches then decided that we could all go do some individual interval training on the whistle for the last 10 minute of the session. This was simple find some space, get up to speed then on the first whistle sprint like hell and on the second relax and recover! Hmm 10 minutes later I was jelly! I got onto the track did 2 laps then whistle 1. So I did exactly as told and went for it hard. Lap 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... I was starting to think the coach had lost his whistle then thankfully he blew it again!! bit warm now and my legs complained that I had been cycling all week and now this, SHUT UP LEGS!!! 2 laps later the shrill sound of the whistle again! Not being one to waste the opportunity of a good workout I pushed hard again. By Lap 5 or 6 I was breathing though my ears! They repeated this about 2 more times then brought us all in for a post session chat!

It covered most of what I have described above but the coaches also gave us a good insight into how difficult this can be at the higher levels with 40+ riders on the track, now that must be really stressful sometimes, however they did also reiterate that as long as you keep a good lookout and stay safe it is never a problem! I look forward to my next session!

This is all good training too for the race season next year that I will be going into. Now that will be an eye opener too.

Great fun and even though I haven't yet got another session booked I am looking forward to it and just want more!!!

The ride home after was a bit emotional too! I still managed a few good personal bests though and 8th on the leader board on the route through Gorton too,

I will be stepping up my training in the new year and knocking up some more leader boards too. It would be good to dominate the area before starting the next racing season in March/April time!

More happy cycling!


No comments:

Post a Comment