20 Feb 2013

On sticks not out in the sticks!

Well after my accident last week I have up to 3 months on crutches as I have to let my ankle heal. I do have a rather nice looking purple pot on my leg though. I thought I had better get purple as it is Lynne's favourite colour and so at least as and when she has time to look at least that might make her a little happier.

I do really feel for her as she is having to do so much more than her fare share around the house and with the kids as I am unable to lift anything attract requires two hands or moving any distance.

I also cannot drive at the minute too which is a real pain in the bottom as I really need to be able to drive. So I now have to catch the bus to work, which is mind numbing! The buses aren't bad at all really. I get the stagecoach bus though as they are newer, more reliable and cheaper than first bus on the same route.

Sitting on the bus with nothing to do with ones mind apart from watch the world go by, read the Metro or just have a mind in neutral moment has obviously left me time to do some thinking.

This challenge I set for myself this year was to ride coast to coast in a day (and hopefully in under 10 hours). As I am now going to have a lot more time to train and get my act together I think that next year I should do something a bit bigger and harder. The cause will be for charity (and because I love to suffer). Christies and the East Cheshire Hospice will be the ones I want to benefit from my activities.

I am looking at doing the coast to coast ride in a day (which will be great fun) then going straight down to Cornwall all way to Lands end (by car or course). I then want to be riding from Lands End (that's the pointy bit at the bottom left of the country for those who don't know) all the way to John O'Groats (pointy bit at top of Scotish part of the country!). All this sounds very good and well and will mean I have literally crosses the country by bike, no religious pun intended! However the hard part that I want to do for the second part of this epic journey is that I will do it non stop! In short once I get on my bike at the start in the south, I will not stop or get off (exempt for traffic or death) until I have reached the Finish. The record is just over 44 hours. I would be happy with 50 and know that will be a really hard 2 and a bit days. Real hell on 2 wheels.

The hard thing to do of course is get support, which includes all the tech support I would need, plus I would be looking at Corperate Sponsorship (don't think that will be easy but let's try anyway). The really hard thing to do of course is convince "The Wife!", long suffering but supportive as she is, I do love Lynne to bits really.

For now though I am stuck on a pair of cruches and unable to even walk my dogs. Thankfully it will only be a few weeks (5 left to go) until I can get my cast off. Then I have physio and back into training.

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment