14 Feb 2013

Wham! Here ends my ride...this year! Or does it???

Well yesterday looked like a really good day to be riding to work. I was even toying with the notion of riding a longer than usual route into work. After a little cuddling with the kids when they got up before I left, I decided to just do the normal straight forward 7 mile ride to work instead.

This sounded like a great idea at the time. Besides what is the worse that can happen.........


Well there I was just pootling along the road from Woodly to Breadbury when a lovely Ginger haired bloke walked out into the road in front of me seconds ( and I do mean literally 2 seconds) before I was going to be occupying the same space. I think I shouted something like look out, but it came out more like "laaaaaaghhhhh...umph" as I narrowly managed to avoid hitting the chap head on. I did clip him and in his own words I only brushed against him, but in doing this it threw me completely off balance and heading towards the wrong side of the road at speed.

It all happened so fast after that. I remember hitting my head and thinking another big win for helmet wearing. My glasses came off and I went I hope they don't break they are brand new. My bike hit me in the back and my iPhone flew past my head!!! Weird that usually doesn't happen.

I was also well aware at this point that I was in the direct path of oncoming traffic and the idiots around here don't stop for anybody. I was in grave danger of having a second accident in one day.
I jumped up and tried to stand as I would expect that I should be able too, only to find my left foot didn't seem to be working properly. I then had to crawl in a three legged lame animal type crawl, dragging my bike behind, just trying to get off the road out of the traffic. Someone already on the pavement came to see if I was ok and the chap I nearly hit came over being all apologetic saying it was his fault as he wasn't looking. There is even a pedestrian crossing that he couldn't be bothered using only meters away.

As one kind lady was busy calling 999 an ambulance just happened to turn up. They stopped and started to help me out. It was funny because as they spoke to the control centre they said we have come across this accident but the control centre told them to carry on and another ambulance will be there in 10 minutes. They obviously told control otherwise and scrapped me up. They were great and helped me out loads. They got me to hospital ok all be no blue lights (bit disappointing as I have never been in a civilian ambulance and felt that I deserved blue lights, inner child calling!!!).

Once I got to Stepping Hill I was a bit surprised to find that I was wheeled straight into reception by a nurse (this is after the paramedics had done there handover) and straight back out the door to be dumped in the waiting room for over an hour. Even the paramedic commented on the nurse not even reading the notes they had made.

I did find that throughout my entire time at Stepping Hill a majority of the staff were great and when they did have anything to do with you really help lots. Any other time they just looked at you( if at all) like you were an unwelcome problem to be avoid at all cost.

Anyway I took this picture of my ankle while waiting (again) for an X-ray.


You can see that I have dislocated the bones along the top and they are pushing out the left side. I also chipped one of the joints too. 

I had great fun with a nurse and doctor trying to convince me otherwise as they tried to manually put it back in with only entenox for relief. I did later however get to experience the high of morphine entenox and several other very strong drugs as they tried again. I didn't care by this point of course.

Later that evening they knocked me out which was one of the weirdest experiences of my life as they didn't even give me any warning. Anyway they snapped it all back into place and made sure the break looked like it had closed properly etc. I was lucky in a way as if this didn't happen I would have to have had a further operation to pin it, but thankfully they decided not too.

That would have stung a bit.

Anyway I now have a cast on my leg and instructions not to put any weight on my leg for the next 3 months. After that  I have months of physio so no cycling for about 6 months.

I am not happy as I will be missing out on all the cycling I wanted to do this year. I will however be doing the coast to coast next year along with everything I have missed off this year.

I will keep the blog updated too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment